22 February 2008

Uncle Dave Tells a Story about Cute Goth Chicks and Anime

So, it's let's say the early to mid 90's and I am a young sophomore in high school. There's this cute goth crazy chick, blond, curly-haired, totally crazy but smart as hell and cute as all get out. I come over to her place to hang out and play guitar. Forgot to mention, she played guitar. I'm telling you, cool chick. So fast-forward an hour and her grandparents come home and she's gotta go but she decides to lend me a videotape of Akira, "the best anime ever".

This was a time when
a) anime was not very visible or well distributed, in fact almost all of it was dubs or imported fan-made subs or really crappy domestic releases. (This version of Akira was a dupe of the out of print american dub. It was crappy and ruined the story by how poor the sub was.)
and
b) as a young geekling, eager to impress and dazzled by smart pretty girls who played guitar, I was willing to force myself to have an open mind about strange and difficult-to-understand stuff, like this japanese animation thing. Er, anime.

So I went home with the VHS of Akira later that night I promptly put the tape in and started watching this strange anime thing. Except that the tape was like 1/2 through and it looked like it was in the middle of the movie, something about a nuclear war or something. So, wanting to do the thing properly, I stopped the tape and rewound it.

Here's where I went wrong. The tape had two movies on it, only the second of which was Akira, which if you haven't seen it, really is a work of art and miles ahead of other animation of the period. Informed by Blade Runner, Alien and a distrustful paranoia that would make Phillip K Dick proud, it's a GREAT movie.

But it was the 2nd movie. The FIRST movie on that tape was UROTSKIDOJI: LEGEND OF OVERFIEND, whose plot summary boils down to: "Demons from another dimension want to break into ours but have to have the demon-antichrist-person-thing born in ours so that they can all come through and make earth a hell where they can live. So they send demons with tentacle-dicks to rape nubile young and innocent japanese girls in order to impregnate them and have their demon-baby-lord born."

The short version is that within 15 or 20 minutes of starting the tape from the beginning, I was so horrified that I stopped the tape, swore off anime for years and in fact did not SEE anime for at least 10 years.

Anyway, the real reason I bring all of this bullshit: Akira Live Action Movie confirmed

No comments: