13 October 2005

MP3: Music to fuck to, part two.

I hated Aphex Twin. I heard a bunch of oh-my-god-he's-the-best-ever verbal blowjobbery about his music, and when I heard it, decided it wasn't anything special. At the time I'd just recently gotten into electronic music (it was probably 1997, I'm thinking, and I'd just started to get into Kraftwerk, Skinny Puppy and Orbital). My friend Eden wouldn't shut the fuck up about him though and eventually lent me "Selected Ambient Works, Volume II" when I asked him to recommend something nice, mellow and ambient.


Links from OpenDir
Aphex Twin: "Selected Ambient Works Volume II"
Disc 1
Disc 2

Something about the mostly-beatless waves of sound made it perfect when I snuck the girl into my dad's house; I worked nights then -- 11pm to 7am -- and so it wasn't unusual for me to come home at 730am, play some music and hit the sack. I always kept my hurricane shutters closed for the absolute darkness that they provided (windows faced East then,) and the only the LEDs from my gigantor stereo (oh, how I miss thee,) lit up the room. Something about the way it just subtly implies that it's playing, that the distant light is coming to you from somewhere different, special, somewhere between foreign and familiar is just....it's cold and comforting, clinical and a mess, organic and manufactured. Also, great for sex and/or love.

There's nothing I can tell you about the album that wikipedia won't. But if you do like the album, it's worth pointing you to this particular site that has an overly in-depth explanation of the song titles and album art.

No comments: