23 November 2007

thxgiving update

vacation: sucked, I worked on the house and w/ the fam (jesus they are tireless)

work: I am a hero and an unsung rockstar of unprecedented caliber. we had a server -- the one and only web server, the one that has hard drives that grriiiiiiiinnnnnddddd when they spin up and has therefore not been turned off for 5 years and then because of a power failure, and not been updated for about 10 years -- have it's PSU blow up and catch fire. despite this, I was able to get us working (hobbled, but hey) for the few days it took to get the machine repaired.


i bought a jawesome! map in a magnelephant frame at my dad's neighbors' moving out garage sale. my ex-landlord is in foreclosure and I picked up 3 GTA games for 30 bux.

this morning i dreamt that had gone to sleep late (i had) and got woken up by my cell and it was she calling to say there were things unsaid. i never got to hear them because the alarm went off.

3 comments:

TheOnyx said...

Ah, GTA. You'll sink so many hours into those games. At least, I did. I think my most favorite part was grabbing the apache and seeing how high I could get on the "wax the criminals in cars" missions.

Props on the server. Did you have to invoke the Power of Clme?

Static Electrician said...

No, I had a diff server already setup to replace this ancient thing (it's running debian 2.0 "potato", hasn't been updated in at least a decade and prior to the powersupplies catching fire and melting had not been rebooted/powered off for ~5 years. The last time it spun up the hard drives made grindingingingignigningingingin noises to scare chillens 10 miles away.) The resurrection was basically "power up, fsck the partitions, check the date is correct, stop the stupid fucking services the box doesn't do anymore, start the things it needs and check the logs".

TheOnyx said...

Jesus. Some deity was being extra-kind to you that day. Props!